Learn the most effective ways to promote student learning. This second edition of bestselling author Barbara Blackburn’s Classroom Instruction from A to Z covers a broad range of key instructional strategies to help you create more meaningful, engaging learning experiences for your students. Each chapter from A to Z offers guidance on a specific aspect of classroom instruction, such as planning strong lessons; assessing student learning; creating more successful homework assignments; differentiating instruction; and scaffolding students for success.
Throughout the book, you’ll find practical strategies and tools that you can implement immediately, no matter what subject area or grade level you teach.
Topics new to this updated edition include:
- Exploring blended learning techniques such as flipped classrooms;
- Strategies for implementing social emotional learning and mindfulness;
- Understanding diverse learners and accommodating all students;
- Teaching academic vocabulary in deeper ways; and
- Integrating subjects and promoting writing across the curriculum.
With twenty-six chapters each devoted to a different aspect of instruction, this book has something to offer both new and experienced looking to improve student learning. Additionally, classroom-ready tools are available as free eResources from our website, http://www.routledge.com/9781138935952.
Table of Contents
Meet the Author
1. Academic Vocabulary is Foundational
2. Begin Lessons with a Bang
3. Can You Hear Me? Teaching Speaking and Listening Skills
4. Data Informs Instruction
5. Expect the Best
6. Focus on Your Purpose
7. Grading and Assessment
8. Help Me: Scaffolding for Success
9. Integrate Subject Areas
10. Just for Me: Differentiated Instruction Strategies
11. Keys to Blended Learning
12. Literacy is for Everyone
13. Make It Real
14. Next Steps (Helping Students Break Down a Task)
15. Options for Successful Homework
16. Project-Based and Problem-Based Learning
17. Questioning Strategies
18. Research-Based Evidence on Instruction
19. Social and Emotional Learning Matters
20. Turn the Tables: Helping Students Take Responsibility for Their Learning
21. Understand Diverse Learners
22. Value Writing for All Subjects
23. Working Together Makes a Difference
Barbara R. Blackburn is the best-selling author of 15 books and is a sought-after consultant. She was an award-winning professor at Winthrop University and has taught students of all ages.
Featured Author Profiles
"I like the fact that all key concepts in education are covered in one book. Usually, you have to buy and read a long book for each concept. Teachers will appreciate that each section of the book will help them in their daily work. I will be able to use this book for weekly meetings, as part of ongoing professional development in my district."
--Betsy Fannin, Curriculum Supervisor, Lawrence County Educational Service Center, Lawrence County, Ohio
"The book summarises some very good ideas about teaching and learning into one book that is easy to read. Teachers, of today, especially during training are now being exposed to lot of other teaching methods and they will find a book like this which condenses many popular strategies into one book very helpful. There are lots of appealing features and effective strategies that are easily transferrable into the classroom."
--Kate Sida-Nicholls, Course Leader of Teacher Training Program in Suffolk and Norfolk, England
"Classroom Instruction from A to Z, part of Blackburn's A to Z Series, contains a plethora of strategies that are easily accessible, and it proves to be a handy quick-reference tool for the classroom teacherâ€™s bookshelf, especially for new teachers."
-- Laura Von Staden, MiddleWeb.com