Colloquial Finnish provides a step-by-step course in Finnish as it is written and spoken today. Combining a user-friendly approach with a thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Finnish in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Key features include:
- progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
- an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
- realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
- useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
- additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar summary and bilingual glossaries
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Finnish will be an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Finnish.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download freely in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.
Table of Contents
1. Making contact 2. No thanks 3. Help yourself! 4. Getting around and about 5. What’ll we buy? 6. Let’s go to the kiosk! 7. Isn’t it great to get home for Christmas! 8. From bad to worse 9. Time and space 10. What’ll we do today? 11. More and more quickly 12. There seems to be something under the carpet 13. Easy come 14. Bears can be dangerous, I suppose 15. Serious matters 16. Let it not be said! Key to exercises Appendix A: Finnish names Appendix B: Overveiw of Finnish verb inflection Appendix C: Overview of Finnish nominal inflection Finnish–English glossary English–Finnish glossary Glossary of grammatical terms Index