Continuing to provide a concise approach to this crucial organization, the second edition of The North Atlantic Treaty Organization: The Enduring Alliance is fully updated to take in the developments since 2007, with key additions including:
- Discussion of NATO’s place in a changing world
- Consideration of recent operations on the alliance
- Evaluation of the impact of the financial crisis
- Reconsideration of the NATO-EU relationship
- Discussion of the US pivot to Asia-Pacific and its impact on NATO
- The implications for NATO of Russia’s action in Ukraine
- The rise of emerging security challenges, including Islamic State
- A new chapter looking to the future of NATO in light of the recent developments
Highlighting the continued importance of NATO in the international arena, this accessible guide details the origins, institutions, workings and activities of the organization, as well as contributing valuable insights to the debate surrounding the future of the alliance.
Table of Contents
Introduction 1. NATO Redux: 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq and Beyond 2. Facing the Enemy 3. Tipping the Eurostrategic Balance 4. Strategic Vacation 5. The Search for a New Strategic Consensus 6 .NATO Today 7. NATO: The Enduring Alliance? Bibliography and Further Reading
Julian Lindley-French is Senior Fellow, Institute of Statecraft, London; Director, Europe Analytica; Distinguished Visiting Research Fellow, National Defense University, Washington DC; Fellow of the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute, Calgary.