Transmedia Marketing: From Film and TV to Games and Digital Media skillfully guides media makers and media marketers through the rapidly changing world of entertainment and media marketing. Its groundbreaking transmedia approach integrates storytelling and marketing content creation across multiple media platforms – harnessing the power of audience to shape and promote your story.
Through success stories, full color examples of effective marketing techniques in action, and insight from top entertainment professionals, Transmedia Marketing covers the fundamentals of a sound 21st century marketing and content plan. You’ll master the strategy behind conducting research, identifying target audiences, setting goals, and branding your project. And, you’ll learn first-hand how to execute your plan’s publicity, events, advertising, trailers, digital and interactive content, and social media. Transmedia Marketing enlivens these concepts with:
- Hundreds of vibrant examples from across media platforms – The Hunger Games, Prometheus, The Dark Knight, Bachelorette, The Lord of the Rings, Despicable Me 2, Food, Inc., Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, Top Chef, Pokémon, BioShock Infinite, Minecraft, Outlast, Titanfall, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, Halo 4, Lonelygirl15, Annoying Orange
- Real-world advice from 45 leading industry writers, directors, producers, composers, distributors, marketers, publicists, critics, journalists, attorneys, and executives from markets, festivals, awards, and guilds
- Powerful in-depth case studies showcasing successful approaches – A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Mad Men, Lizzie Bennet Diaries, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, and Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues
- Extensive Web content at www.transmediamarketing.com featuring a primer on transmedia platforms – film, broadcast, print, games, digital media, and experiential media; expanded case studies; sample marketing plans and materials; and exclusive interviews
With Transmedia Marketing, you’ll be fully versed in the art of marketing film, TV, games, and digital media and primed to write and achieve the winning plan for your next media project.
Table of Contents
Acknowledgements/Preface; Chapter 1 – Media Makers = Media Marketers; Chapter 2 – Be Transmedia; Chapter 3 – Harness Your Inner Marketer; Chapter 4 – The Marketing Plan; Chapter 5 – Know Your Media Project; Chapter 6 – Research to Win; Chapter 7 – Audience, Audience, Audience; Chapter 8 – Goals and Objectives; Chapter 9 – Branding; Chapter 10 – What’s in a Name?; Chapter 11 – Visual and Aural Identity; Chapter 12 – Positioning and Messaging; Chapter 13 – The Project Launch; Chapter 14 – Media Relations; Chapter 15 – Press Materials; Chapter 16 – Media Events; Chapter 17 – Markets, Festivals, and Trade Events; Chapter 18 – Awards; Chapter 19 – Strategic Partners; Chapter 20 – The Art of Art; Chapter 21 – The Open and Title Sequence; Chapter 22 – Trailers, Promos, and Sizzlers; Chapter 23 – The Media Plan; Chapter 24 – Advertising Creative; Chapter 25 – Advertising Context; Chapter 26 – Online and On-the-go Marketing; Chapter 27 – The Social Screen; Chapter 28 – Interactive Content and Marketing; Chapter 29 – Media-fueled Social Impact; Chapter 30 – Measuring Outcomes; Chapter 31 – Transmedia Marketing Case Studies; Chapter 32 – Market It!
Anne Zeiser is a critically-acclaimed producer and media strategist who has stewarded iconic series for PBS, produced news for CBS, managed national brands for marketing firms, and founded Azure Media, which develops transmedia projects on air, online, and on the go that fuel social impact in communities, in schools, and in capitals. With media partners from PBS and the BBC to Miramax and Sikelia Productions, Zeiser has successfully launched and marketed film studios and media organizations, feature and documentary films, television series and specials, mobile games and apps, and online video and media communities.
Zeiser is a member of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, a board member of the Filmmakers Collaborative, and an adjunct professor at Emerson College. She contributes to the Huffington Post and has been a featured speaker at American Film Market, Making Media Now, AFI Docs, StoryCode, World Congress of Science and Factual Producers, and the Asia Society. Follow Zeiser at Twitter: @azuremedia and Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anne-zeiser/
"[Zeiser] really knows her stuff, plainly explaining the why of marketing, as much as the who, what, where, when and how. The author offers practical instruction, quotes from experts, personal anecdotes, high-profile case studies and a veritable Rosetta Stone of industry terms. She includes chapters on theoretical subjects such as the psychology of audiences and identifying brand archetypes, as well as credible sections on fundamentals like market research, timetables, messages, audience engagement and spokespeople. Zeiser also covers emerging topics like interactive content, social responsibility messaging and gamification. … This American Film Market-endorsed book is a dense, comprehensive roadmap to launching a cross-platform film or TV promotional campaign."
- Christina Clarke, POV Magazine: Issue 103, Fall 2016
"Transmedia Marketing pioneers the powerful idea that successful entertainment projects must blend storytelling and marketing across multiple platforms. Creatives, business execs, and marketers alike will devour this book’s clear guidance and real-world examples of how to shape a project so audiences will love it, participate in it, and share it."
- Linda Reisman, Producer, Jeepers Creepers, Affliction, The Danish Girl
"Transmedia Marketing is an in-depth, authoritative, and extremely timely survey of multi-platform marketing in the age of pervasive communications. Anne Zeiser has a unique understanding of the vital role that narrative plays in connecting a mass audience with your content or brand, and her advice for how to close that circuit is some of the best I've seen. There is more than a little bit of secret sauce contained in this book."
- Jeff Gomez, CEO, Starlight Runner Entertainment; Transmedia Producer, Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, The Amazing Spider-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Halo, Hot Wheels
"Anne Zeiser has earned the industry’s respect by taking a strategic approach to everything she does, and this book is no exception. It takes full advantage of Anne's deep experience and expertise in 21st century transmedia marketing."
- Lesli Rotenberg, Senior Vice President, PBS Marketing & Communications
"[One of] the best books for those interested in storytelling, play and design."
- Lance Weiler, Storytelling Pioneer, "40 Must Read Books on Story, Play, and Design", Culture Hacker
"The Transmedia Revolution has changed not only the way screenwriters sell their product, but even how they create it. Anne Zeiser's new book is an absolutely essential guide for writers as they navigate their work through all these new and sometimes tricky media platforms to success."
- Manny Basanese, Writer/Producer, The Steve Harvey Show, Wayans Brothers, Wizards of Waverly Place; Assistant Professor, Emerson College
"Filmmakers may know their craft but can become deer in headlamps when they hear buzzwords like "multi-platform" and "transmedia" marketing. What is it, why do I need it, when do I need it, and how do I do it? In this highly accessible book, they will find their answers, laid out in common sense language that is sure to allay a lot of fears – and foster some excellent new media!"
- Kathryn Dietz, Producer, China: A Century of Revolution (PBS Special), Eleanor Roosevelt (American Experience), Young & Restless in China (Frontline); Executive Director, Filmmakers Collaborative
"Transmedia Marketing is an invaluable guide on how to really connect with audiences using a combination of marketing and storytelling in the transmedia age. Anne Zeiser’s experience of both parts of this equation means this is a very helpful primer for both producers and marketers."
- John Willis, Chief Executive, Mentorn Media and Creative Director, Tinopolis Group
"What does it really take to develop, produce and promote a major media project in today’s ever changing and increasingly diffuse marketplace? Not just what tools and platforms to consider, but how to design an approach that will deliver the flexibility, creativity and buzz that can set your project on a pathway to impact. Transmedia Marketing provides a firm understanding of cross-platform media design where each media component’s strength is complimentary and the focus is on the endgame: maximum impact."
- Larry Klein, Emmy and Peabody-award winning Producer, Rx for Survival: A Global Health Challenge, Why the Towers Fell, Building Big with David Macaulay
"Transmedia Marketing, spawned from Anne's Transmedia class at Emerson College, is the first of its kind. As a student in her class, I discovered the potential of storytelling across multiple platforms. Her enthusiasm and passion for the industry carries over from the classroom to the pages of her book as she guides you from developing a project's various storylines through marketing and branding each platform. Listen to Anne, she's the best resource for your next transmedia endeavour!"
- Heather Hoglund, Producer, The Strong People
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.